Rich Bramer, SEO and SEM specialist at Konrad Group and Digital Marketing course TA, joined us at BrainStation Toronto to introduce the topic of Digital Marketing to our attendees. After getting a quick and engaging overview of the principles of the topic, Rich worked the group through an activity where they put their newly acquired knowledge to work.
Digital Marketing can improve the experience that customers have with your business. It’s a great tool at your disposal that you can utilize for free or put some funds into and provide a full and well-rounded experience for your customers.
S – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Attainable
R – Relevant
T – Timely
SEO and SEM:
93% of all online experiences start with google – people don’t start out knowing where they are going. You want to be able to intercept with your potential customers in that search engine stage of their experience.
- Search is the #1 driver of traffic to content sites
- The #1 organic position will receive 40% of the clicks! 40%! That’s huge.
Tip: Your site and social channels should come full circle in the user journey: there should be links to your socials on your site and vice versa.
Why do you need SEO?
- Allows you to highlight things in google more effectively
- Without so, websites can be invisible to search engines
Tools to check out:
- Search engine watch
- Searching engine land
- Moz blog (an industry leader)
- Moz tools
- Chrome extension – Mozbar
SEM (Search Engine Optimization): Paid side of google search results
- very important. your ad matches with what people are looking for. Provides opportunities for businesses to be at the top of that search list.
- drives the most qualified traffic
- offers your product or service to customers that are looking for your product and will pay for it.
How google AdWords ranking works:
- Click-through rates
- Ad relevance
- Landing page experience
- Search engine watch
- search engine land
- PPC Hero
- Google adwords
- Google analytics academy (you can become google AdWords certified for free!)
When done right: You’ll reach your customers and keep them, not annoy them 🙂
Acquire > Onboard > Engage > Retain
Relevance is king!
- Don’t hit people with emails that aren’t relevant to them. Personalize their emails. Offer them something right off the bat.
- Be mobile! over 50% of email opens happen on a mobile device. Make it brief, they will close or delete more quickly while they’re on the go.
- This syncs up well with social media; you can have a better sign up conversion rate by providing those links.
- The best place to start is to build a community from scratch
- Identify who in your networks you can leverage to build awareness
- Play copycat with your competitors
- Locate and identify advocates and leaders in your field
- Start and join conversations
- Be regular! begin a schedule and post regularly.
- Begin the conversation: AMAs, Twitter chats, contests, etc.
- Influencer marketing: contact those within the community that have a good rep and presence. Consider sending your product and work with them to find a mutually beneficial relationship.
Tool Tip: minter.io
The formula: Strong creative + qualified audience, targeting + campaign reach
- Something you cant do with Facebook: Target based on keywords that people are using. You can target people that are talking about things that are closely related to your brand.
- Options: promoted tweet, promoted account, promoted trend, promoted card
- Hashtags are also handy for searching. You can search for keywords without the hashtag as well
Creative best practices:
- Twitter is more of a resource tool than Facebook – there is less surfing happening. Your content should be utility based and providing someone with a resource.
- Mobile is huge: 2/3 of Twitter browsing is done on mobile.
Radian6 – Social Media Monitoring
Sisomos – Social Media Monitoring
Our next cohort of Digital Marketing kicks off this January in Toronto and Vancouver – apply before December 9th and you’ll get $300 off with our Early Bird Special!